Print on Demand Setup Overview
The first step in the process is for you to gather all the information needed to set up your accounts with the service providers, book printers, and distributors associated with the release of your book. You will need to provide the following:
- Business name, mailing address, and phone number
- Tax ID (either SSN or EIN)
- Bank account information (for electronic deposits of your earnings)
- Credit/debit card information (primarily for your printer to have on file for personal orders you place)
If you haven’t set up a business name for yourself and would like to talk about that process, I’m happy to do so. Please schedule a time to chat here.
Once you have gathered up all your information, use this online form to send it to me. This is much more secure than sending the information to me over email.
At the start of my work, I will set up a dedicated email address to use as the default address for all project-related registrations. All notifications regarding the setup will go to this dedicated address. I do this because I need direct access to registration verification emails and other messages that need a timely response. Once the setup is complete, I will provide you with the login information to this dedicated address. You can retain this address for your own use or have all incoming messages forwarded to your preferred email address.
Using the information you provided, I will perform the following tasks:
- Purchase and assign your ISBNs (International Standard Book Numbers)
- Register your book with the US Copyright Office
- Register your book in the LCCN (Library of Congress Preassigned Control Number) program
- Set up your account(s) with IngramSpark and/or Kindle Direct Publishing
- Set up your book for sale and work with you to refine your book’s metadata
Several of these tasks have costs. These costs will be charged to the credit/debit card you provided. Here is a breakdown of the costs:
- IBSNs: $125–$295
- Copyright registration: $65
- LCCN: no setup fee, but you will need to mail in a copy of your book to the Library of Congress, so approximately $15
- IngramSpark setup fee: $49
I will let you know when I am about to make these purchases so that you are prepared.
After the entire process is complete, I will send you a document containing login information for all accounts I set up on your behalf. At this point, feel free to change the logins and passwords if you prefer. With the exception of your printer account, it’s unlikely that you will need to access these accounts until you decide to publish again.Print This Page